Button Attend an Information Session

Connect with Extended University

Extended University Facebook Page

Instagram Button Linkedin Button You Tube Button

Frequently Asked Questions


If you are an international student, please visit our International FAQ's page.

If you are having trouble finding a particular form, please see our Documents page.

What are the fall and spring application deadlines?

Fall application period: January 1 - May 1

BS Business - Santa Barbara
BA Psychology - Santa Barbara

MS Biotechnology
MS Biotechnology/MBA Dual degree
MBA Santa Barbara
MBA Thousand Oaks

MS Mathematics

MS Computer Science

Spring application period: August 1 - November 1

BS Business

MS Biotechnology
MS Biotechnology/MBA Dual degree
MBA Santa Barbara
MBA Thousand Oaks 

For BS Business Online program, deadlines vary. Please visit the BS Business Online page.

For Nursing Program deadlines, please visit the Nursing Program website for the latest information: http://nursing.csuci.edu/


Nursing Degree Programs

Please visit the Nursing Program website for the latest information: http://nursing.csuci.edu/

MA Education and Post Baccalaureate Teaching Credential

Please visit the School of Education website for the latest information: http://education.csuci.edu/

Is CSU Channel Islands (CI) on a quarter or semester schedule?

Classes held during fall and spring are offered on a semester basis. Degree programs offered through CI’s Extended University also include an 11 or 12-week summer term which makes it possible to attend year round.

What is the accreditation at CSU Channel Islands?

CSU Channel Islands, including Extended University, is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).   The MVS School of Business and Economics is a candidate for ACBSP Accreditation. (PDF, 93.9 KB)

How does Extended University differ from the regular University?

From the student, employer, and public perspective, there is no difference between regular University and Extended University degree programs. A degree earned through a program offered by Extended University is a CSU Channel Islands degree, the same degree conferred on students who successfully complete degree programs offered on the main campus. Where the two entities differ is in their funding. Regular University receives State funds to operate its programs and pay its employees; student fees are the sole source of funding for Extended University’s programs. Because of this, Extended University has more flexibility in developing and offering unique programs, and conducting them at easily accessible locations and on accelerated schedules that are convenient for students. Despite its external funding, Extended University is not a for-profit branch of regular University. All funds generated by Extended University that exceed its costs are funneled back into programs.

Are scholarships available?

Yes. Please visit http://ext.csuci.edu/financial-aid/ for information.

Is financial aid available?

Financial aid is available for all undergraduate and graduate degree programs. Financial Aid is not available for student that are not matriculated. For information and assistance, please contact Kristin Carpenter at the Financial Aid Office or visit http://www.csuci.edu/financialaid/index.htm

How do I drop a course?

Courses can be dropped through MyCI before the session begins with no financial or grade penalties. Once a session begins, an Add/Drop form must be filled out and brought or mailed to the Extended University Office. Courses dropped within the first 25% of the session qualify for a 75% refund and no grade penalty. Courses dropped after the 25% point in the session qualify for no refund and earn a “W” (withdraw) grade. Courses cannot be dropped after the 60% point in the session. 

How do I change my name?

You may change your name by filling out the “Name Change” form located in the Channel Islands Records and Registration Forms Library: http://www.csuci.edu/records-registration/rec_reg_library.htm

The form must be submitted to the Records and Registration desk on the first floor of Sage Hall. All changes must be accompanied by legal documentation (social security card, court documents, or marriage certificate) that verifies the changed information. In addition, a photocopy of a photo ID that verifies the new name, correct social security number, or correct date of birth (driver's license, passport, or immigration card) is required. 

How do I obtain a student ID?

Student IDs are optional for Extended University students and pictures are taken at orientation. Students can also obtain them by visiting the main campus Student Business Services (formerly known as the Cashier’s office) on the first floor of Sage Hall. Proof of ID and current registration in classes is required. 

I'm not a CI student, but I'd like to take courses. Can I and how?

Open University is the means by which those who are not currently admitted to CI may enroll in courses offered by regular University. Individuals may apply up to 24 units taken through Open University toward a baccalaureate degree. Grades received through this program are factored into the student’s grade point average at CI. Units earned through Open University may not be applied toward the 30 units residency requirement.

Points to consider:

Enrollment through Open University is on a space available basis and is permitted at the discretion of the instructor.

Students admitted to Channel Islands in the current semester may not take any courses through Open University.
Non-matriculated international students (those not admitted for the current semester) with a score of less than 450 on the TOEFL examination or its equivalent may not take any courses through Open University.

International students on F-1 or J-1 visas without proper authorization may not take any courses through Open University. 

My employer provides tuition assistance. How can I use it?

Before paying your fees, download and complete the Promissory Note and submit to Extended University along with a letter from your employer on company letterhead outlining the assistance they will provide. Our financial staff will contact your employer to arrange payment. Please note that you will be held financially responsible for any fees that exceed the amount covered by your employer.

Promissory Note (PDF, 69KB)

I have been approved for financial aid (or grant, or scholarship). How do I use it to pay my fees?

Before paying your fees, download and complete the Promissory Note and submit to Extended University along with a copy of your approval letter. Fees will be deducted from your financial aid, grant, or scholarship; any excess aid will be refunded to you. Please note that you will be held financially responsible for any fees that exceed the amount covered by financial aid, grants, or scholarships. 

How can I get advising?

Contact Brianne Keighley, Admissions, Records, and Advising Specialist, at (805) 437-3201 or brianne.keighley@csuci.edu.

Does Extended University offer courses online?

Yes, several of our degree programs including MBA, MS Biotech, MS Computer Science, MS Mathematics, and BS Nursing offer some online courses. Online courses are primarily held in a “live online” format where students login to a Channel Islands online classroom during a regularly scheduled class time. Attendance and participation are essential for success in these courses. 

How and where do I purchase textbooks?

A listing of textbooks for all courses may be found at http://ext.csuci.edu/spotlight/textbooks-extended-university.htm

Books may be purchased on the CI campus at the Cove Bookstore, through Amazon.com, or through any other online bookstore. Students enrolled in the Bachelor Completion degree program on the Santa Barbara City College Campus may purchase their textbooks through third-party online retailers and pre-order at the SBCC Bookstore. Some books may be rented through third-party online retailers. 

I’m an admitted student. How do I enroll in my classes?

This link that will guide you through the online enrollment process:


I am an applicant to an Extended University degree program. Where do I send my documents and transcripts?

Please mail all documents and transcripts to:

CSU Channel Islands
Extended University
Sage Hall 2109
One University Drive
Camarillo, CA 93012

How can I pay for a program?

Please select your payment option:

E Check Payment (PDF, 402.8 KB)  
Cashnet Payment (PDF, 231.6 9KB)


If you have a question regarding programs offered through Extended University, please use our Request General Information Form.  If you have questions regarding services on the main campus, please visit the following links: Campus InformationAcademic Programs, Financial Aid, Student Housing.

News and Events

Student Services


Thousand Oaks
Santa Barbara