Open University provides an opportunity for those people who are not currently admitted to California State University Channel Islands to enroll in courses offered by the regular university.
Begin Working Towards a Degree: Have you missed the deadline for admission? Do you want to improve your grade point average to better qualify for admittance?
Sample a Field or Possible Career: Are you thinking of a career change? Do you want to examine a new field before enrolling in a degree program?
Professional and Personal Enrichment: Do you want to update your professional training in specific fields? Interested in learning more about a particular subject for your own personal growth?
California State University Channel Islands' Open University program allows enrollment in regular university credit classes on a "space available" basis, subject to the approval of the instructor and Academic Affairs. Check the California State University Channel Islands Schedule of Classes for class meeting times and location. The registration process is easy. Admission to the University is not required.
We cannot guarantee a space nor assure you will be permitted to enroll in any class. Instructors are not required to accept Open University students even if space is available.
Open University is NOT available to:
- Matriculated students (those admitted for the current semester)
- Non-matriculated international students with a score of less than 450 on the TOEFL examination or its equivalent
- International students on F-1 or J-1 visas without proper authorization.
Students may apply up to 24 units of Extension Credit toward a baccalaureate degree. At the option of the program coordinator, up to six units of Extension Credit may be applied to a graduate degree. Grades received through this program will be factored into your grade point average at California State University Channel Islands.
Four Easy Registration Steps (for Open University Only)
- Check the California State University Channel Islands Schedule of Classes for the days and times of the courses you need.
- You must use the Open University enrollment form (below) to enroll in courses through this program.
- Attend the first class meeting and get instructor and Academic Affairs signatures. Registration is done on a "space available basis.” Note: some departments may have additional requirements for certain classes. Attend the first class to obtain the instructor's signature. Instructors are not permitted to sign forms before the first day of class when they can determine space availability. Please do not ask instructors to sign forms before this day. Forms will not be accepted by Admissions and Records before the first day of your class.
- Return the completed form to Admissions and Records by the end of the second week of classes.
Open University Registration Deadlines:
|Regular Registration||1st two weeks of session|
|Late Registration ($20 late fee applies)||3rd week|
|Drop (with 65% refund, instructor signature required)||End of 2nd week|
|Late Withdrawal (no refund) –Instructor Signature Required||End of 3rd week|
The fees per unit are the following:
Lecture unit: $270
Lab fees: as assigned
Full payment is required at the time of registration
Contact and Further Information
For further information or any questions, please call us at (805) 437-2748.